Mother Ursula Bruton arrived from St Vincent’s College in Potts Point, and found herself with a primary school (St Monica’s) that only catered for students as far as eighth grade. Her desire for a Catholic girls’ high school was communicated to the families, and, assured of their support, she began to look for a suitable property.
The Gillespie residence, now known as the Bruton Building, became available in April, 1897. The Sisters secured the property for £4,250.00. Mrs Florence May King of St Kilda advanced a loan of £1,000.00 and twenty-two gentlemen became guarantors to ensure that the money would be repaid.
A powerful sign of lay partnership, audacity and vision. Located in the Bruton Building, this Deed of Covenant was signed 24 April 1897.