The refurbished Sophia Library is a vibrant hub for learning, information access, reading promotion and social interaction within our College community. Instead of one large open space, the Library is a series of interconnected learning zones, catering for different learning needs and activities.
We recognise our key role in supporting and enhancing the students’ recreational reading and promoting a reading culture. This includes:
A Year 7-9 Wider Reading program to further develop an enjoyment of reading enrichment and multiple literacies.
- Developing the imagination of students with a diverse fiction collection.
- Sustaining the habit and enjoyment of reading.
- Exposure to a variety of authors, with an emphasis on local writers.
- A forum where students freely discuss texts
- Promoting literature and the worlds it connects.
- Developing a physical and digital collection that is heavily driven by student recommendations and interests.
- Celebrating literature during ‘Book Week' and 'Library Week' the College Book Club
The Library at St Columba’s is also committed to fostering and developing the information literacy skills essential to life-long learning through:
- Creating dynamic and engaging physical and virtual learning spaces. (Think Tank, Research Zones, Reading Amphitheatre and Library Webpage)
- Facilitating access to information and diverse resources in a secure environment
- Developing a balanced digital and physical resources collection.
- Providing equitable access to relevant quality resources that support the Australian Curriculum and student inquiry.
- Providing opportunities for whole class research, small group collaborations and private study.
- Facilitating Year 7-12 classes to guide students through the Research Process
During the term:
Monday - Thursday 7:45am – 4:30pm
Friday 7:45am – 4pm
Term 1 & 2 breaks: The Library is open on specified dates for private study which are communicated through 'Iona'.
Term 3 break: The Library is open every day from 8.30 - 4.00 for VCE students, except on public holidays.